Thursday, March 8, 2007

The Sacrum - The Source of My Back Problem

I know that I was in the dark for a number of years with regard to the source of my back pain. It wasn't until my chiropractor reviewed my x-rays with me, that I actually saw the source of my back pain, the sacrum. The sacral spine (to be specific) is a triangular shaped bone that is located below the lumbar region of your back. I have included a photo below:




I injured my back when I was doing some landscaping work on my new house about 5 years ago. I felt something pull in the lower left-hand side of my back while digging. The pain wasn't immediate...but I knew something was wrong. It didn't take long for the pain to hit me, just a few hours. And, boy did it hit me! I could barely walk it hurt so bad. After speaking with a lot of people that also have back pain, I have found that many of them also have problems with their lower back, and their sacrum to be specific.

The pain can be easily located (you can point directly to where the pain originates). For me, this is about 2 inches left of the base of my spine. Then there is a shooting pain down my left leg (commonly referred to as sciatica). The sciatica actually hurts more than the origin of the pain!

I tried everything to alleviate the pain, including stretching, icing the area, back exercises, etc. with the hope that my back would heal. 4.5 years later I finally understood that without professional help, it wouldn't heal. That's when I visited my chiropractor for the first time, Dr. Pagano in Pennington New Jersey. I have now been going to Dr. Pagano for 2 full months and I'm amazed at the results so far. My adjustments have really helped my back pain subside and I can do things now that I just couldn't do for the past 4.5 years. Needless to say, I'm extremely happy with my treatment.

So, if you are experiencing pain in your lower back, originating a few inches out from your spine, and you are experiencing sciatica (or pain shooting down your leg), then it very well could be your sacrum that's the issue. It was for me. Don't waste time trying to figure it out on your own...go to an experienced chiropractor and start treatments as soon as possible. Definitely look for a chiropractor that fits your needs, and make sure they come recommended.

Good luck and knock out your back pain!

The Patient

2 comments:

Renee said...

I don't know if you still check this but I have this exact pain and I see a pt for it but it's getting worse with treatment. If you get this please email me about your current condition and how you treated it.
ncnewf28@aol.com

The Patient said...

Hi Renee. Glad you found this post. It's a bugger of a pain, isn't it? I highly recommend finding a top chiropractor in your area. It didn't take long for the chiropractic adjustments to help my situation... I was feeling much, much better in 4-6 weeks. Now I go in for maintenance every month or so (I sound like a car!). ;-)

There is a specific way that my chiropractor works on popping my sacrum into alignment that I'm sure your chiropractor can elaborate on. It really works, though and is absolutely painless.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Where are you located? If you are in NJ, I highly recommend Vito Pagano at Pagano Chiropractic. He's been a life saver for me. :-)

The Patient