Thursday, May 31, 2007

Knowing Your Limitations Keeps the Chiropractor Away


Dr. Pagano fixed my back again...after the soccer episode I explain in a previous post. After that happened, I started to understand that knowing your limitations is critical, especially as you get older. I'm almost 35 so I can't move at the pace I used to. That's unfortunate, since I'm a highly competitive person, both professionally and personally. So, I've decided to list some things you can do to stay within your safe boundaries while performing physical activities.


Think Before You Act

Simply put, before you do something really physical, stop and ask yourself what the impact could be. Practical example: I was cutting some of the trees in my backyard recently and needed to jump to grab a branch. Before I jumped (which would have probably hurt my back), I thought about it for a second. Then I went and grabbed a ladder instead. In the old days, I would have just jumped!


Don't Overdo It

If you are going to run, don't run 10 miles, run 3 or 4. If you want to play golf, don't hit 36 holes, hit 18. If you want to play company softball, play once per week and not double headers after work. I think you get the point.


Take Care of Your Back

Visit your chiropractor on a regular basis, which is determined by you and your chiropractor. Now that my back is feeling better, I only go in once per 3 or 4 weeks versus a few times per week. Also, take hot baths, stretch, and be wary of things that can throw your back out. For me, it's alignment (whether that's running, sleeping, sitting, etc.)


Don't Be Baited Into Doing Something Stupid

When you get together with old friends or coworkers, don't be baited into doing stupid things. For example, don't bowl for 3 hours at a company event if it will kill your back! Don't golf 2 days in a row if an old friend is in town, and don't think that you are younger than you really are and go out all night only to find out the next morning that you did something stupid and threw out your back! ;-)


I hope these tips help you out...I'm learning as I'm going. I think the world of my chiropractor, but I'd rather not see him very often! :-)


The Patient

No comments: